By Deborah Jeanne Sergeant
The CNY manufacturing sector is booming. Two area experts shared their thoughts on the top up-and-coming companies and types of manufacturing to watch.
From Patrick Penfield, professor of supply chain practice at Syracuse University
• “SCR Corporation in North Syracuse has done a lot of defense-oriented work.
• “Lockheed Martin in Liverpool is doing a lot with drone technologies. We’re seeing small drone technology companies pop up because there are so many ways they’re being used. CNY can capitalize on that.
• “Beak & Skiff does a lot with their farm and developing their liquor industry in addition to making it a destination spot in the area. It’s amazing what they’ve done. It was a great way to pivot and stay busy and help during the pandemic.
• “HealthWay Home Products in Pulaski makes air filtration devices, which grew during the pandemic.
• “Byrne Dairy in Syracuse is doing some great stuff. They did a great job with their dairy plants and some interesting things with the different products like aseptic milk. They’re opening some more stores.”
From Randy Wolken, president and CEO of MACNY & the Manufacturers Alliance of New York State
• “Novelis in Oswego has made a lot of investments. They’re a critical manufacturer in New York and beyond. They’ve positioned themselves to be a long-term manufacturer and they’re state of the art. We’re all watching to see how they’ll grow. They’ve invested in their technology. Novelis has great tech careers.
• “Tessy Plastics Corporation in Elbridge was engaged in production of applicators for COVID-19 testing. Many manufacturing companies pivoted during the pandemic to be successful and beyond. Beak & Skiff is another example, with their hand sanitizers.
• “Should we secure Chip Fab, many of those jobs will start at $100,000 and more.”